Mathematics Major (B.S.)
The purpose of the mathematics major is to present the basic concepts and methods in modern mathematics, to develop the student's ability to think critically using the axiomatic method, and to apply these ideas to other disciplines. This major provides the mathematical background for students preparing for
- certification in secondary education;
- graduate study in a mathematical discipline;
- a career in an area using mathematics, such as engineering, economics, statistics, or actuarial science.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Solve problems using the appropriate mathematical expertise.
- Use abstract reasoning to rigorously evaluate mathematical hypothesis, and formulate and communicate mathematical analysis and arguments.
- Critically analyze and investigate complex phenomena of the physical and/or socio-economic worlds by representing these problems mathematically.
- Articulate how a biblical/Christian worldview informs one’s vocation and professional practices.
- Use appropriate technology to solve practical problems, access mathematical information, and develop mathematical insight.