English & Writing Major (B.S.)
Liberty University’s BS English and Writing program is offered exclusively through Liberty University Online and provides instruction in literary history, context, theory, as well as the writing processes which lead to the various mediums of written communication. It prepares students for a wide variety of careers related to language arts, technical, professional, or creative writing. Toward this end, the program seeks to 1) develop the necessary curricular offerings and practical opportunities for student achievement in the areas of literary criticism; syntactical, rhetorical, critical and creative features of writing; and a well-developed understanding of the Christian worldview; 2) develop strategies for providing students with both curricular and practical opportunities which make the most efficient and effective use of the department’s academic, physical, and budgetary resources; and 3) to provide graduates with the highest quality of professional preparation.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Write grammatically, clearly, and logically.
- Analyze whether a written text follows the conventions of its given genre or style.
- Produce a piece of writing that follows conventions of a given genre or style.
- Produce research that uses methods and sources appropriate to a given genre or style.
- Evaluate various forms of writing in the context of a Christian worldview.