School of Music
Stephen W. Müller, B.M., M.M., D.Min.
Dean, School of Music
Sean Beavers, B.M., M.M., D.M.
Online Dean, School of Music
Paul Rumrill, B.A., M.M., M.A., D.M.
Associate Dean, Center for Music and Worship
Gabriel Miller, B.A., M.A., D.W.S., Ph.D.
Associate Dean, Center for Music Education & Performance
Mark Greenawalt, B.M., M.M., D.M.A.
Chair, Department of Applied Music Studies
John W. Hugo, B.M., M.M., M.M., D.M.A.
Chair, Department of Ensembles
David Hahn, B.M., M. M., D.M.A.
Chair, Department of Commercial Music
Rebecca Watson, B.M., M. M., D.M.A.
Chair, Department of Music Education
A listing of program directors can be viewed at https://www.liberty.edu/institutional-effectiveness/academic-program-directors/.
Research Intensive Courses
All research intensive courses are listed online at https://www.liberty.edu/center-for-research-scholarship/qep-overview/.
Liberty University School of Music is the seventh largest collegiate level institution in America devoted to training and equipping professional musicians as performers, music educators, worship leaders, ethnomusicologists, artists, film score composers, music publishers, recording engineers and producers, and songwriters. The School of Music is a member of and Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). NASM is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as a programmatic accreditation organization for institutions offering degree and non-degree educational programs in music and music-related disciplines.
The mission of the Liberty University School of Music is to train and equip musicians to be Champions for Christ. The School of Music is a community of God-honoring musicians committed to a culture of manifest core values that include:
- Worship Lifestyle
- Servant Leadership
- Stylistic Diversity
- Academic Inquiry
- Skilled Musicianship
- Artistic and Creative Expression
- Sharing Christ through Music
These core values demonstrate what the music faculty believes a “Champion for Christ Musician” is devoted to in their everyday private and professional life. It is the general consensus of the School of Music faculty that the mission statement and clearly articulated core values conform to and promote the broader university mission to “develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact the world”.
While the School of Music has only one mission, two distinctly unique and focused tasks emerge. These tasks are accomplished through two organizations within the School of Music structure:
- The Center for Music and the Performing Arts – trains and equips passionate musicians as skilled performers and music education specialists; and,
- The Center for Music and Worship – trains and equips highly skilled musicians to serve as worship practitioners in the evangelical community.
In fulfillment of the School of Music Mission, communication of the Core Values and application of the Focused Tasks and the various entities representing the music unit, it is the aim of the School of Music leadership to graduate students that are thoroughly equipped to assume their role in the market-place. And, that the School of Music provides for these student-musicians comprehensive curricula broad enough to encourage collaboration, imagination, diversification, scholarship and practical application. It is important to the leadership of the School of Music that students are equipped to identify their calling (desired career), find gainful employment (a job) and contribute to their chosen vocation(s) for many years to come.
- Commercial Music Major (B.M.)
- Commercial Music Major (B.S.)
- Guitar Performance Major (B.M.)
- Music & Worship Major (B.S.)
- Music Education Major (B.M.)
- Music in World Cultures Major (B.M.)
- Music in World Cultures Major (B.S.)
- Music Major (B.S.) Instrumental
- Music Major (B.S.) Vocal
- Music Minors
- Piano Performance Major (B.M.)
- String Performance Major (B.M.)
- Undergraduate Certificates
- Vocal Performance Major (B.M.)
- Woodwind, Brass, or Percussion Performance Major (B.M.)
- Worship Leadership Major (B.M.)
- Worship Studies Major (B.S.)