Master of Religious Education (M.R.E.)
The Master of Religious Education degree is the professional theological degree in Christian Education and Discipleship Ministries. This 60-hour program is designed to equip a man or woman who has been called by God to serve as a professional Christian worker in such capacities as the associate pastor, a minister or director of Christian education, a discipleship pastor, small group pastor and other positions that require a broad general knowledge of church educational programs and discipleship ministries.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Explicate the origin and contents of the Bible, as it informs the Christian faith and its missional endeavors.
- Synthesize the theological and historical foundations of Christian education.
- Construct a biblically based discipleship program plan for a selected ministry.
- Assess the effectiveness of contemporary approaches to Christian leadership.
Program Specific Admission Requirements
In addition to the general admission procedures, applicants to the Master of Religious Education program must meet the following requirements:
- Earned baccalaureate degree or its equivalent (in any field) from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (e.g., SACSCOC, TRACS, ABHE, etc.).
- Contact information for one Pastoral Recommendation.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale).
- School of Divinity Questionnaire/Personal Statement
- TOEFL Scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper-based test; 250 computer-based test, 80 internet-based test).
Degree Candidacy is granted when the student completes all prerequisites and is in good academic standing.
Degree Transfer: M.A., M.A.B.S., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S. or M.A.T.S. Degree into the M.R.E. Degree
Students who pursue the Master of Religious Education (M.R.E.) degree after having earned the Master of Arts in Biblical Exposition (M.A.), Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (M.A.B.S.), Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.A.C.M.), Master of Arts in Global Studies (M.A.G.S.), Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy (M.A.) or Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) degree may apply 30 hours from the M.A., M.A.B.S., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S. or M.A.T.S. toward the M.R.E. as allowed by the M.R.E. Degree Completion Plan (DCP).
Students may not earn the M.R.E. first, and then apply to pursue the M.A., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S. or M.A.T.S. (Students may earn the M.R.E. first and then apply to pursue the M.A.B.S.) Students desiring the additional degree must submit an application for admission through the Graduate Admissions Office.
Degree Transfer: M.R.E. Degree into the M.Div. Program
Students who earn a Master of Religious Education (M.R.E.) degree may pursue a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree and apply all of the credits from the M.R.E. degree toward the M.Div. as allowed by the student’s specific M.Div. Degree Completion Plan (DCP).
Students may not earn the M.Div. first, and then apply to pursue the M.R.E. Students desiring the additional degree must submit an application for admission through the Graduate Admissions Office.