Mathematics Education 6-12 Major (B.Ed.)
The program is designed for those candidates who desire a four-year bachelor's degree in education that meets the competencies for teacher candidates. The emphases for this major is on the content for the field, as defined by the federal guidelines, state guidelines of the Virginia Department of Education, and national accreditation. The guidelines for this major are subject to change in federal and state regulations or national accreditation for the licensure of specified subjects in grades 6-12/P-12.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Formulate knowledge of learner development, learning difference, and learning environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the discipline area and the application of content to connect concepts and engage learners.
- Plan instruction using multiple methods of assessment and instructional strategies to develop a deep understanding of the content for all learners.
- Develop a Biblical worldview and professional responsibility through ongoing reflection and professional development experiences where opportunities are provided for leadership and collaboration with stakeholders.
- Develop knowledge, skills and processes of subject area competence necessary to assess, plan, and teach 6-12/P-12 students.
- Use abstract reasoning to rigorously evaluate mathematical hypothesis, and formulate and communicate mathematical analysis and arguments.
- Gate 3 Application Requirements*:
- Deadline for Submission
- Fall Student Teaching (ST) Semester: January 15
- Spring Student Teaching (ST) Semester: August 15
- Deadline for Submission
- Degree Completion Plan Audit
- 3.0 GPA
- Gate 2 Acceptance (Program Status Check/Background Check)
- Licensure Exams (Official Score Reports with PASSING Scores)
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment
- Praxis Subject Assessment(s) (Specific to endorsement(s))
- Full Background Clearances
- Criminal Background
- Virginia Child Abuse Recognition and Intervention Training
- FBI Fingerprints
- Placement Request
- Professional Liability Insurance (Christian Educators Association International)
- Coverage dates must be valid through end of ST semester
- Tuberculosis (TB) Results
- Results are valid for one year and must be valid through end of ST semester
- After completion of the required program coursework (including student teaching), content competencies (if applicable), and the passing of licensure tests, the graduate of this program would be eligible for a Virginia state teaching license.