Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.)
The Master of Arts in Religion degree program is appropriate as an entry-level and general professional degree in religion. It is designed to give the student intensive study in the Scriptures and the essential truths of the Christian message.
The program is profitable for pastors and ministry leaders who wish to have a firm scriptural undergirding for service in Christian ministry. The program also provides an opportunity for potential advanced studies in a program such as the 75-hour Master of Divinity.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Explicate the origin and contents of the Bible, as it informs the Christian faith.
- Defend the theological and historical foundations of the Christian faith.
- Compose a discipleship ministry strategy for Christian ministries.
- Devise a plan for personal growth, development, and service.
Program Specific Admission Requirements
In addition to the general admission procedures, applicants to the Master of Arts in Religion program must meet the following requirements:
- Earned baccalaureate degree or its equivalent (in any field) from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (e.g., SACSCOC, TRACS, ABHE, etc.).
- Contact information for one Pastoral Recommendation.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale).
- School of Divinity Questionnaire/Personal Statement.
- TOEFL Scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper-based test; 250 computer-based test, 80 internet-based test).
Degree Candidacy is granted when the student completes all prerequisites and is in good academic standing.
Degree Transfer: M.A., M.A.B.S., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S. or M.A.T.S. Degree into the M.A.R. Degree
Students who pursue the Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) degree after having earned the Master of Arts in Biblical Exposition (M.A.), Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (M.A.B.S.), Master of Arts in Christian Apologetics (M.A.), Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.A.C.M.), Master of Arts in Global Studies (M.A.G.S.), Master of Arts in Sports Chaplaincy (M.A.) or Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.A.T.S.) degree may apply 30 hours from the M.A., M.A.B.S., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S., or M.A.T.S. toward the M.A.R. as allowed by the M.A.R. Degree Completion Plan (DCP). Students may not earn the M.A.R. first, and then apply to pursue the M.A., M.A.C.M., M.A.G.S., or M.A.T.S. (Students may earn the M.A.R. first and then apply to pursue the M.A.B.S.)
In addition to the other regulations governing graduation, graduates of the Master of Arts in Religion program must meet the following requirements:
- Complete 60 hours.
- A maximum of 50% of the program hours may be transferred if approved and allowable, including credit from an earned degree from Liberty University on the same academic level.
- 2.00 GPA.
- For information regarding the repeat policy, please refer to “Course Repeat Policy” in the Academic Information and Policies section of this Catalog.
- Degree must be completed within 7 years.
- Submission of Degree Completion Application must be completed within the last semester of a student's anticipated graduation date.
The Law Studies cognate is available to currently enrolled Liberty University School of Law students or Liberty University School of Law alumni only. For more details see the School of Law section of this Catalog, or visit http://www.liberty.edu/law/degree-programs/#dualdegrees.
Degree Transfer: M.A.R. Degree into the M.Div. Degree
Students who earn a Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) degree may pursue a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree and apply all of the credits from the M.A.R. toward the M.Div. as allowed by the student’s specific M.Div. Degree Completion Plan (DCP).
Students may not earn the M.Div. first, and then apply to pursue the M.A.R. Students desiring the additional degree must submit an application for admission through the Graduate Admissions Office.
Delivery Format: Residential and Online
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Biblical Studies
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Christian Apologetics
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Church History
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Community Chaplaincy
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Discipleship & Church Ministry
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Evangelism & Church Planting
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Global Studies
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Homiletics
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Leadership
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Pastoral Counseling
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Pastoral Ministries
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Theology
- Religion (M.A.R.) - Worship
Delivery Format: Online Only
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Church Planter
- Lay Leader
- Worship Pastor
- Youth Pastor