Master of Fine Arts in Digital Media Production (M.F.A.)
This program is delivered in residence.
The Master of Fine Arts in Digital Media Production program trains individuals to become proficient in creating digital media content, influential media leaders, and skilled practitioners with biblical worldviews. Graduates of this program will exemplify high standards and assume pivotal roles within various organizations in both for-profit and non-profit sectors of the digital communication and media content fields. These individuals will be equipped to shape the direction of diverse entertainment, news, and other motion media genres and the corporate goals and objectives in academic, corporate, or church-affiliated settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Integrate a biblical worldview through decision-making and leadership in organizations using digital media.
- Conduct original research that adds to the applied knowledge base of the literature and industry practices of the digital media discipline.
- Create compelling digital media solutions based upon research and industry practices in the digital media profession.
- Apply strategic communication skills, advanced production tools, and creative storytelling techniques to enhance digital media productions.
Program Specific Admission Procedures
The MFA program will follow the standard admission, curriculum and graduation requirements as stated in the Liberty University Graduate Catalog with the following specific admission procedures:
- Regionally or nationally accredited bachelor's degree with at least a 3.00 GPA (on a 4.00 scale) for acceptance in good standing.
- Students with a GPA of 2.50 to 2.99 (on a 4.00 scale) may be considered for admission on Academic Caution.
- TOEFL scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper-based test; 250 computer-based test; 80 internet based test)
- Creative Statement
- The creative statement should include your creative background, area(s) of specialty, and the intended direction of your work. This is your opportunity to provide context for your art and design.
- Departmental Approval via Master of Fine Arts Portfolio
- A 3-5 minute demonstration video that best depicts your abilities and interests in Digital Media Production. Include a document explaining your role in production on all media artifacts, i.e., produced, directed, edited.
- Submitted videos must be professionally photographed, sound-mixed, and “client” ready.
- Neat and professional presentation, layout, and image quality
Submitted work samples must clearly demonstrate your strong technical skills, aesthetic style, fundamental knowledge, and potential for success in the program.
- All submitted videos must be original creative artifacts produced by you.
- Credit must be given when collaborative works are included.
- A portfolio must be submitted via SlideRoom, which has a $10 non-refundable fee.
Video (up to 250MB each)
PDFs (up to 10MB each)
Students may transfer up to 30 credit hours from an accredited institution subject to department approval. In order to transfer credit, students must have earned the minimum grade of B-, and courses must have been completed within 7 years of the start date of the program. Credits from a prior degree on the same academic level earned through Liberty University are considered transfer credits.
Delivery Format: Residential Only
Depending upon an individual's expertise, career opportunities for graduates with an MFA in Digital Media Production may include:
- Creative Director
- Video/Audio Producer
- Interactive Visual Designer
- Program Manager
- Media Executive
- Art Director
- Digital Producer
- Brand Manager
- Television/Film Director
- Film and Video Editor
- Visual Information Specialist
- Special Effects Artist
- University Professor
- Media Pastor