Doctor of Philosophy in Aviation (Ph.D.)
Liberty University’s Doctor of Philosophy in Aviation program is founded on a Christian worldview and designed to prepare the next generation of aviation leaders at the highest level who are committed to investigating and solving aviation questions and problems through research, educational leadership, and Christian ethical standards and who view aviation education as a ministry.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Synthesize the philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of aviation research.
- Conduct scholarship that adds to the knowledge of the literature of the field of aviation.
- Reflect a biblical worldview through ethical decision-making and values in the aviation profession.
- Promote best practices for aviation policies and programs that benefit individuals and aviation communities.
- Mentor to others who wish to pursue advancement in the aviation profession.
Program Specific Admissions Requirements
In addition to the general admission requirements, graduation from the Ph.D. in Aviation requires:
- Earned master's degree or its equivalent from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (e.g., SACSCOC, TRACS, ABHE, etc.)
- An graduate cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale)
- TOEFL (if applicable)
Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirements may be admitted on Academic Caution status.
Students may transfer up to 30 credit hours from an accredited institution subject to department approval. In order to transfer credit, students must have earned the minimum grade of B-, and courses must have been completed within seven (7) years of the start date of the program. Credits from a prior degree on the post-graduate and doctoral academic level earned through Liberty University are considered transfer credits.
Delivery Format: Online Only
- Aviation researcher
- Aviation trainer/educator
- Aviation education administrator
- Aviation training services course developer
- Aviation regulations consultant
- Airport manager
- FAA safety inspector
- Airline safety program manager
- Aircraft manufacturer safety program manager
- Aircraft manufacturer manager
- Military senior leadership
- Any role within airlines and aviation companies organization with higher levels of responsibility