Advanced Standing Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
The mission of the Liberty University Social Work Master’s Program is to prepare healthy advanced generalist social workers to be servant leaders who follow the example of Christ and will influence the world by enhancing the lives of all individuals, families, and communities through research informed knowledge, values, and skills consistent with the purpose of the profession.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior.
- Engage diversity and difference in practice.
- Advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice.
- Engage in practice-informed research and research-informed practice.
- Engage in policy practice.
- Engage with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Assess individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Program Specific Admission Procedures
In addition to the General Admission Procedures outlined in this Catalog, applicants to the Advanced Standing Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) must have:
- An earned baccalaureate degree in Social Work from a program that is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Official transcripts must be provided before admission. Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy). Graduate-level GPA's cannot be considered in place of a BSSW degree.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.00 scale).
- Recommendations: Three (3) reference names and contact information including phone number. At least one (1) of these should be a field faculty member or program director from the BSW/BSSW program attended.
- Statement of Purpose: 400 minimum word statement of purpose.
- Writing Sample - Minimum 5 pages
- Complete Questionnaire
- Department/Faculty Admission Decision Required Review
Transfer of Credit
Students may transfer up to 3 hours from an accredited institution subject to department approval. In order to transfer credit, students must have earned the minimum grade of B-, and courses must have been completed within 7 years of the start date of the program. Credits from a prior degree on the same academic level earned through Liberty University are considered transfer credits.
Students will be eligible for Administrative Dismissal from the Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) if any of the following are true:
- It will be mathematically impossible for them to raise their cumulative Graduate GPA to 3.00 with their remaining required courses.
- They do not have a cumulative Graduate GPA of at least 3.00 when enrolled in SOWK 665
- They have three (3) grades or three (3) courses of C+/C/C- applying to their degree and they have applied the repeat policy for the maximum allowed nine (9) hours or three (3) courses, and they earn two (2) or more additional grades or courses of C+ or lower.
- They earn two (2) grades of D+ or lower.
- They did not disclose criminal history in their application to the Master of Social Work.