Preschool - Graduate Certificate
Important: This certificate plan is effective for those starting in the fall 2022 through summer 2023. This certificate plan will remain in effect for students who do not break enrollment or who do not change certificates.
Upon completion of this program, candidates who have a current initial license with an endorsement in elementary education, such as preK-3, or prek-6, or special education early childhood, issued by the Virginia Board of Education are eligible for an Add-On Endorsement in Early Childhood for 3 and 4 year olds.
|EDUC 501||Advanced Child Development||3|
|EDEC 653||Current Issues in Early Childhood Education||3|
|EDEC 670||Curriculum and Methods for Early Childhood Education 1,2||3|
Candidates seeking the Add-on Endorsement for Early Childhood 3 and 4 year olds should take EDEC 598 Field Experience Practicum: Early Childhood (0 c.h.) as a co-requisite with EDEC 670 Curriculum and Methods for Early Childhood Education (3 c.h.). EDEC 598 Field Experience Practicum: Early Childhood (0 c.h.) requires the cleared background check.
Course should not be taken in the summer semester when EDEC 598 Field Experience Practicum: Early Childhood (0 c.h.) is taken concurrently for the add-on licensure. Field experience requirements for EDEC 598 Field Experience Practicum: Early Childhood (0 c.h.) may not be available in the summer.
- Candidates who want to apply certificate courses to a graduate degree program will have to abide by the GPA and grade requirements of that degree
- 9 total hours
- A maximum of 50% of the program hours may be transferred if approved and allowable
- 2.0 GPA
- No grade of D may be applied to the degree (includes grades of D+ & D-)
- Certificate must be completed within 3 years
- Submission of Certificate Completion Application must be completed within the last semester of a student’s anticipated graduation date