Doctor of Philosophy in Strategic Media (Ph.D.)
The Ph.D. in Strategic Media is designed to prepare competent researchers, effective leaders, and skilled practitioners with a biblical worldview who will model high standards and assume leadership roles within various
organizations—both for-profit and non-profit—in the context of the fields of communication. Researchers and practicing leaders in this field are seen as those who assume a role in shaping the future direction of policies, goals, and objectives within a communication setting, whether it be in academic, corporate or church-affiliated settings.
Program Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Create effective strategic media solutions and applications using qualitative and quantitative tools.
- Synthesize theoretical and applied concepts and approaches based upon research and knowledge of the literature of the strategic media discipline.
- Conduct original research that adds to the applied knowledge base of strategic media fields.
- Integrate a biblical worldview through decision-making and leadership in organizations using strategic media.
Program Specific Admission Procedures
- Conferred Master’s degree from an institution accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (e.g., SACSCOC, TRACS, ABHE, etc.).
- Applicants should hold a 3.0 GPA for graduate study.
- TOEFL Scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper –based test; 250 computer-based test, 80 internet-based test).
Students may transfer up to 15 credit hours of graduate-level courses in communication from an accredited institution subject to department approval. In order to transfer credit, students must have earned the minimum grade of B-; and courses must have been completed within 7 years of the start date of the program. Credits from a prior degree on the same academic level earned through Liberty University are considered transfer credits.
In addition to other regulations governing graduation as stated in this Catalog, Ph.D. in Strategic Media graduates must:
- Complete 60 total hours.
- A minimum of 45 hours must be completed through Liberty University, not to include credits from a prior degree earned through Liberty.
- A maximum of 15 hours of transfer credit, including credit from a degree on the same academic level previously earned through Liberty, may be applied to degree.
- 3.0 GPA
- No grades lower than B- may be applied to the degree.
- For information regarding the repeat policy, please refer to “Course Repeat Policy” in the Academic Information and Policies section of this Catalog.
- Degree must be completed within seven years.
- Submission of Degree Completion Application must be completed within the last semester of a student's anticipated graduation date.